They are the:
- turbocharged T5 (priced at RM298,888)
- T8 Twin Engine Inscription plug-in hybrid (at RM333,888)
- T8 Twin Engine Inscription Plus plug-in hybrid (at RM343,888)
Prices are on-the-road without insurance.
The plug-in hybrid variants' 10.4kWh lithium-ion hybrid battery, centrally located in the tunnel of the car, can be fully charged in under three hours, by plugging into the mains supply.
It has a pure electric range of 45km (NEDC Hybrid Combined Cycle).
READ MORE: First drive of Volvo XC60 in Spain
The Inscription Plus trim level gets Premium Sound by Bowers & Wilkins; a 15-speaker sound system that supplies 1,100 watts through a 10-channel Class-D amplifier.
Buyers can choose from five exterior colour options which includes Ice White, Bright Silver, Osmium Grey, Onyx Black and Maple Brown.
Volvo Car Malaysia has also added a second leather upholstery colour – Maroon Brown – which will complement the usual Charcoal.
Also, Volvo Car Malaysia had sold out nearly 100 imported (from Sweden) units of the new XC60 T8 Twin Engine Inscription Plus priced at RM373,888.
The imported units have air suspension, which won't be seen in the CKD (completely knocked down) or locally assembled units.
Deliveries for the XC60 in CKD form are due to start in April.
Volvo Car Malaysia managing director Lennart Stegland said last year, Volvo car sales in Malaysia hit 1,021 units (a 9.3% increase from 934 units in 2016).
"We have enjoyed huge success with the XC90 SUV. We expect sales for the XC60 to be on par with the XC90," he said at the launch of the XC60 at Sheraton Petaling Jaya Hotel.
Scoring a near perfect score of 98 per cent in the Adult Occupant category and 95 per cent in the Large Off-Road vehicle class, the new XC60 has been awarded Best Overall Performance by the prestigious Euro NCAP 2017.
This was thanks to the new XC60’s ability to benefit and improve on the safety technologies of Volvo’s 90s Range – the first range of cars built on the SPA platform.
Volvo calls its safety technologies, which include driver support and active safety systems, IntelliSafe.
“Volvo has a vision that by the year 2020, no one should be killed or seriously injured in a new Volvo car,” said Stegland.
IntelliSafe, which comes standard in the new XC60, will include the usual staple of active, preventive and protective safety systems such as City Safety (Autonomous Emergency Braking), BLIS (Blind Spot Information System), and Rear Collision Warning and Mitigation, just to name a few.
Both City Safety and BLIS now features Steer Assist, a system that provides automatic steering assistance that will – when required – avoid potential collisions.
City Safety detects and helps avoid collisions with other vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists, and large animals.
Oncoming Lane Mitigation is a new system included in the new XC60; it helps drivers avoid collisions with vehicles in an oncoming lane by alerting, and if necessary, provide automatic steering assistance to guide the car out of the path of the oncoming vehicle.
Also in the new XC60 is Volvo’s Pilot Assist – an advanced semi-autonomous driver assistance system which takes care of steering, acceleration and braking on well-marked roads up to 130 km/h.
In terms of performance, the T8 Twin Engine combines a turbocharged and supercharged petrol engine with an electric motor that independently drives the rear axle to produce a combined output of 407hp (320hp internal combustion engine + 87hp electric motor) and 640Nm (400Nm internal combustion engine + 240Nm electric motor) of torque.
The performance figures translate to a century sprint of only 5.3 seconds and a very efficient 2.1 litres per 100km.
To help conserve fuel, in Eco mode, the coast function disconnects the engine from the automatic transmission when you release the accelerator pedal at speeds above 65kph, so it isn't being used to slow the car.
Volvo XC60 T5: (RM298,888)
- 2.0-litre (1,969cc) turbocharged Drive-E 4-cylinder engine
- 254hp at 5,500rpm and 350Nm
- 8-speed automatic, Geartronic
- Acceleration (0 - 100kph): 6.8 seconds
- Fuel consumption (combined cycle): 7.8 litres per 100km
- Fuel tank: 60 litres
- Kerb weight: 1,842kg
- 235/60 R18 tyres
- All-wheel drive (AWD)
- Electric parking brake with Auto Hold
- Hill Start Assist
- Hill Descent Control
- Regenerative Braking
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Diamond-cut engine start-stop knob
- Drive Mode Selector
- Voice Control
- City Safety (collision avoidance + mitigation with intersection support)
- Pedestrian, cyclist and large animal detection
- Rear Collision Warning & Mitigation Support
- Driver Alert Control (DAC)
- Lane Keeping Aid (LKA)
- Run-Off Road Mitigation with Road Edge Detection
- Oncoming Lane Mitigation
- Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) with Steer Assist
- Cross Traffic Alert (CTA)
- Dual Stage Driver & Front Passenger Airbags
- Side Impact Protection System (SIPS) with Dual Chamber SIPS Airbags, Front Row Seats
- Full-Length Inflatable Curtains (IC)
- ISOFIX Attachment Points, Rear Outer Seats
- Indirect tyre pressure monitoring system (iTPMS)
- LED Illumination Headlights
- Automatic Headlight Levelling System
- Iron Ore decor inlay
- Leather upholstery
- Powered front seats
- Mechanical release/fold for rear seats
- Keyless Entry & Drive
- Rain Sensor with Tunnel Detection
- Reverse camera
- 2-Zone Electronic Climate Control (ECC)
- Clean Zone Interior Air Quality System
- Rear air-conditioning vents
- Sensus Connect with 9-inch colour touchscreen
- Audio system (10 speakers, 8 channel, 224W)
- Bluetooth, USB and iPod connectors
- Apple Carplay and Android Auto
- Powered tailgate with hands-free operation
Volvo XC60 T8 Twin Engine Inscription: (RM333,888)
- 2.0-litre (1,969cc) turbocharged and supercharged Drive-E 4-cylinder engine
- 407hp and 640Nm
- 8-speed automatic, Geartronic
- Acceleration (0 - 100kph): 5.3 seconds
- Fuel consumption (combined cycle): 2.1 litres per 100km
- Fuel tank: 50 litres
- Kerb weight: 2,147kg
- 235/55 R19 tyres
- Electrical rear axle drive (ERAD)
- 10.4kWh lithium-ion hybrid battery
- Gear shift paddles
- Head-Up Display (HUD)
- Navigation Pro with Road Sign Information (RSI)
- Orrefors Crystal Gear Lever with Illumination
- Voice Control with Active Noise Cancellation
- Dual integrated tailpipes
- Tyre sealant kit
- Active Bending Lights (ABL)
- Headlight cleaners
- Inscription Driftwood decor inlay
- Mechanical cushion extension for front seats
- Powered release/fold for outer rear seats - one-touch fold
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Pilot Assist – Semi-Autonomous Drive
- 360-degree Surround View Camera
- Park Assist Pilot, Parallel & Perpendicular Parking
- Parking Climate with Cabin Pre-Conditioning
- Panoramic Sunroof
- Net Pocket on Tunnel
Volvo XC60 T8 Twin Engine Inscription Plus: (RM343,888)
- Premium Sound by Bowers & Wilkins (15 Speakers, 10 Channel; 1,100W)