The new front-wheel drive ES is said to exemplify the Lexus"Yet" philosophy ― the successful pairing of two contradictory ideas―with its "smooth, silky ride yet sharp handling."
It is powered by a 2.5-litre, inline 4-cylinder engine with Lexus Hybrid Drive and can achieve 23.4km per litre.
A new, more compact hybrid battery is located beneath the rear seats, contributing to ideal weight balance and low center of gravity, while enlarging cargo space.
The new ES 300h also comes in a F Sport variant and a high-spec Version L with Parking Support Brake (for pedestrians in the rear), electric reclining feature for rear seats and door armrest upholstery in a material that incorporates Viscotecs TM technology.
With the F Sport appearance and performance package, the ES gets sharper handling response and a more aggressive appearance.
The F Sport variant gets 19-inch alloy wheels with low-profile tyres for exceptional handling, high cornering stability, and new solenoid-type Adaptive Variable Suspension, which provides precise damping force in all driving situations, and performance dampers at the front and rear to further increase body rigidity.
The F Sport grille features a new F-mesh pattern, yielding a sportier front fascia, as well as sports seats and a customised steering wheel and instrument gauges.
To convey the F Sport's razor-sharp, on-road character to the interior, Lexus takumi craftsmen adorned the cabin with an exclusive aluminum ornamentation that undergoes a process called hadori, used in the finishing of samurai swords.
By employing the latest polishing technologies, craftsmen were able to lend a distinct impression of traditional Japanese sword artistry throughout the interior of the ES F Sport.
Also, the new ES has the world's first production Digital Side-View Monitors, as well as the brand's innovative active safety package Lexus Safety System+.
Digital Side-View Monitors use exterior cameras mounted on the front doors to transmit images to two 5-inch monitors inside the cabin at the base of each A-pillar.
The cameras are resistant to raindrop stains, and because the monitors are located inside the vehicle, the driver always has a clear view of the transmitted image, no matter the weather.
Replacing conventional mirrors with small cameras gives the driver virtually unblocked forward views out the side windows, and wind noise is significantly reduced, resulting in a quiet cabin.
Main Features of Lexus Safety System+
- Pre-Collision System uses an in-vehicle camera and front-grille-mounted millimeter-wave radar to help spot bicyclists and pedestrians during low-light conditions.
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control together with Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) help ensure the new ES stays in its own lane. If the system detects a potential lane departure while Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is activated,
LTA alerts the driver with a visual warning and either an audible alert or steering wheel vibration; it may also apply a small active steering correction.
- Adaptive High Beam System (AHS) automatically controls light intensity to safeguard oncoming vehicles or those in front of the ES from glare.
- Road Side Assist (RSA) acquires road sign data via a camera and the navigation system, and displays information using the head-up display and multi-information display, thus reducing driver failure to recognize signs.
- Parking Support Brake System eases burden when parking and tight maneuvering is carried out in restricted spaces such as parking lots. The system detects pedestrians using a rear camera, and in case of a possible collision, helps to mitigate damage through use of alerts and active brake control.
- Panoramic View Monitor provides a bird's-eye view of the surrounding environment.