GEORGE TOWN: The decision to take over operations of highway concessionaire PLUS Malaysia Sdn Bhd will be discussed when the Cabinet meets, says Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng.
Lim said the matter would be discussed during the meeting on Wednesday before any announcements are made.
"Wait for the announcement, I can't announce it spontaneously as it is an important announcement, let it be announced through a written statement," he said during a press conference after opening the Inland Revenue Board directors conference at The Wembley St Giles Hotel here.
Last December, Lim said a decision on PLUS must be made soon so that the Government could avoid paying more compensation.
The Government has had to compensate toll operators since announcing a freeze on toll hikes last year.
During the tabling of Budget 2020, Lim said that an average reduction of toll rates by 18% would save some RM43bil for highway users until 2038, which is when the concession ends.
So far, there have been four formal offers to take over PLUS.