KUALA LUMPUR: Police will go after individuals who have yet to settle their arrest warrants or summonses when Ops Warta begins next week.
Bukit Aman traffic chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Mohd Fuad Abdul Latiff said a two-week grace period was given but many had yet to pay their summonses.
“As of Monday, our records show that only 18,260 summonses with warrants of arrest status had been settled.
“I urge these people to think wisely and take the opportunity given to pay up their summonses,” he said in a statement on Tuesday.
SAC Mohd Fuad said that starting next week, police personnel would be carrying out their duty to trace and detain traffic offenders with warrants of arrest.
“I warn them to settle their summonses immediately. If they fail to do so, they will be taken to court.
“And if they do not give full cooperation, police will invoke the arrest procedure including handcuffing the offenders," he said.
Those who want to check on their summonses can visit the traffic police counters nationwide, or log into www.myeg.com.my and www.rilek.com.my.
It was reported that police would be going all out to serve the 1.59 million warrants of arrest when Ops Warta starts.