“We’re immensely proud to introduce the first in a range of fully electrically-powered Volvo trucks ready for regular traffic,” says Claes Nilsson, President Volvo Trucks.
With better air quality and less noise in the city, it is possible to plan for housing and infrastructure more freely than at present.
An electric truck without any exhaust emissions can be used in indoor terminals and environmental zones.
Their low noise level creates opportunities for doing more work at night, thus reducing the burden on the roads during the day.
The Off Peak City Distribution project studied the effects of goods transport at night in central Stockholm.
By avoiding peak hour traffic the trucks were able to do their jobs in one-third of the time compared to daytime operation.
The first trucks in the Volvo FL Electric range are now entering regular operation with customers in Gothenburg, Sweden, the home of Volvo Trucks.
The first two Volvo FL Electric trucks will be operated by refuse collection and recycling company Renova and haulage firm TGM.
Sister company Volvo Buses has sold more than 4000 electrified buses since 2010.
“All the questions about handling of batteries have not yet been solved. The Volvo Group is involved in various projects where batteries from heavy electric vehicles get a second lease of life, reused for energy storage,” says Jonas Odermalm.
A Volvo Trucks spokesman in Malaysia said it may bring in the FL series (light duty trucks) and its electric sibling if there's a demand for it. In Malaysia, Volvo Trucks only sells the FM, FMX and FH models.
"News of the FL Electric is still making waves around the world and has certainly made a big impact in Europe. The same news is also slowly tapering into Malaysia and we foresee a conversation from customers about this new technology and its benefits soon."
Volvo FL Electric
- Fully electrically-powered truck for distribution, refuse collection and other applications in urban conditions, GVW 16 tonnes.
- Driveline: 185 kW electric motor, max power/130 kW continuous output, two speed transmission, propeller shaft, rear axle. Max torque electric motor 425 Nm. Max torque rear axle 16 kNm.
- Energy storage: 2-6 lithium-ion batteries, totalling 100–300 kWh.
- Range: Up to 300 km.
- Charging: AC charging via the mains grid (22 kW) or DC fast charge via CCS/Combo2 for up to 150 kW.
- Recharging time: From empty to fully charged batteries: fast charge 1-2 hours (DC charging), night charge up to 10 hours (AC charging) with maximum battery capacity of 300 kWh.