Depending on brand ownership, the app is available as My BMW App or MINI App and can be downloaded by customers in over 30 European markets including China and Korea.
The apps can be downloaded for free from Google's Play Store or Apple's App Store.
By mid-2021, both apps will be available in 23 languages in more than 40 countries, including the US, Canada, Brazil, Mexico and certain markets in Southeast Asia.
"With the new app generation, we are taking a further step in extending the digital customer experience around our vehicles and thus meeting the increased customer demand for digital services and functions," said BMW Group Connected Company Customer senior vice president Peter Henrich.
"With the My BMW App and the MINI App, we seamlessly integrate our vehicles into the digital lifestyle of our customers. Both apps offer a lot of useful content both for the daily use of the vehicle and in the personal interaction with us as a brand, which we are continuously expanding".
Stephan Durach, Senior Vice President BMW Group Connected Company Development, Technical Operations, adds: “My BMW and the MINI App set the standard for usability, safety and reliability. User feedback and information on the behaviour of users of the previous generation of the app were critical to the development process. The two apps include popular and frequently used functions, and the new platform allows us to continuously add new functionality, adapted to our customers’ needs.”
My BMW App highlights:
- The app displays information on the status of the vehicle and, depending on the equipment, allows functions to be activated remotely (e.g. to locate the vehicle, lock and unlock the doors, or monitor the vehicle surroundings (Remote 3D View)).
- Destinations are easy to find via the integrated search function and can be sent directly from the app to the vehicle’s navigation system. It is also possible to transmit destinations from third-party apps. The map shows the current traffic situation, filling stations and charging stations, as well as parking options.
- Customers are informed of available Remote Software Upgrades via My BMW App and can easily download these upgrades at home before transferring them to and installing them in the vehicle. With Remote Software Upgrades, the BMW Group offers customers with BMW Operating System 7 new and improved digital features on a regular basis and the ability to ensure that their vehicle software is always up to date.
- The BMW Digital Key, which turns an iPhone into a vehicle key, offers convenient set-up via the My BMW App in just a few steps (the necessary hardware needs to be available in the vehicle). The BMW can then be used without a physical key and this access can be shared with up to five other people. If desired, restricted rights, such as a reduced maximum speed, can also be applied when sending a key – perfect for novice drivers.
- With My BMW, Amazon Alexa can be used in vehicles with BMW Operating System 7. Once the customer has linked their Amazon account in the app, they can use the voice assistant in the vehicle by saying the activation word “Alexa” or at the touch of a button. Customers can use this voice control to play music, access news, control compatible smart home devices and access thousands of skills. Alexa is initially available in Germany, Austria, Spain, Italy and Great Britain. The voice service will be rolled out in more countries from March 2021.
- The app offers additional features for electrified BMW vehicles, including an improved overview of the electric range, charging status and charging history. Customers can use the charge and climate timer to optimise the charging process by defining specific time slots for charging and set departure times. Pre-conditioning is also available (to heat the vehicle in winter or cool it in summer, for example) for enhanced comfort.
- With the introduction of BMW Points, customers will be rewarded for electric driving in a BMW plugin hybrid model: customers collect points and can then redeem them for free charging time from BMW Charging. The My BMW App allows customers to keep track of their BMW Points and to manage them. BMW Points is already available in Belgium, Germany, France, Austria, the Netherlands and Switzerland.
- Personalisation: Once linked with a personal BMW ID, individual preferences can be set in any current BMW vehicle quickly and automatically. Thanks to the My BMW App, logging in is now even easier – instead of manually entering a username and password, customers can simply scan a QR code to securely transfer their user settings. Users can also choose a profile picture via the app, which is now automatically transferred to the vehicle.
- The My BMW App offers easy access to the BMW ecosystem. It can be used to contact BMW Service Partners directly, and customers can keep an eye on their vehicle’s service requirements in the app. Service appointments can be made directly from the app if needed. BMW Roadside Assistance can also be contacted via the app in the event of problems with the vehicle. If consent is given, the service personnel will see the location of the vehicle and its status so that immediate over-the-air assistance can be provided. At the same time, customers can track the service vehicle’s journey. The app also offers easy access to the BMW ConnectedDrive Store and the BMW Online Shop.
MINI App features and highlights:
- IMMEDIATE ACCESS TO VEHICLE STATUS AND FUNCTIONS. The MINI App is the new universal interface to the vehicle. It displays information about the status of the vehicle and, given required options, allows access to remote services as, for instance, locating the vehicle or locking and unlocking the doors.
- HANDY NAVIGATION FEATURES. Destinations are easy to find using the integrated search function and can be sent directly from the app to the vehicle's navigation system. It is also possible to send destinations from third-party apps. The map shows the current traffic situation, petrol stations and charging stations as well as parking facilities.
- SMART SERVICES TO SUPPORT CUSTOMERS’ E-MOBILITY LIFESTYLE. The app offers new services for the MINI Countryman Plug-In Hybrid and the all-electric MINI Cooper SE, e.g. an improved overview of the electrical range, the charging status and charging history. Using the app’s charging and climate timer, customers can optimise the charging process by defining specific time windows and departure times. In addition, the vehicle can be pre-conditioned (e.g. by heating in winter or cooling in summer) to increase comfort.
- THE SHORTEST WAY TO MINI AFTERSALES SERVICE. The MINI App enables direct contact with a MINI Service Partner and customers can keep an eye on their vehicle's service requirements. If required, an appointment can be made directly in the app. The MINI Roadside Assistance can also be reached via the app in the event of problems with the vehicle. If approval is given, service staff can see the location of the vehicle and its status for immediate over-the-air assistance. At the same time, customers can track the arrival of the service vehicle. The MINI Online Shop can also be conveniently accessed from the app.